From Fabriclore comes this beautifully woven Ikat from the town of Pochampally.
The cloth is woven in the conventional blurry zig-zag and geometric chevron patterns with dyed yarns in blues, yellows and black.
A fascinating cloth for all genders and lightweight, perfect for all tops, skirts, trousers for warmer days or worn layered for colder days.
Ikat is a resist dyeing technique where the threads used for weaving are dyed beforehand. The Ikat threads are bound in a pattern then covered with a resist such as wax, before dyeing creating a design. The more binding done before weaving, the more complicated the pattern. Ikat cloths are prone to slubs and often have ties in the cloth where one weaver ends and another begins, the ties will be on the wrong side of the cloth, these are not flaws are are considered part of the charm of handmade artisanal craftsmanship.
Composition: 100% Cotton
Weight: 110 g/m²
Width: 111 cm
Colour: Black, Blue, Yellow, White
Washing Care: Fabric can be soaked in salt water for 3-4 hours prior to stitching to fix colour, preventing colour bleeding. Gentle hand wash in cold water
Made in: India
Image Credits: A Kind Cloth
- Fabrics are sold in half metre increments so if you want one metre, you will need to enter 2 in the quantity box etc. Pieces will be cut in one continuous length.
- Due to varying monitor display settings, colours shown may differ slightly to the actual fabric.
- Any accessories in photos are all props and are not included in the price.
- Before using your fabric, it is advised to wash and dry your fabric as you would for a garment to allow for shrinkage. If you are unsure, cut out a small sample piece and test that piece first - measure the size of the piece before the wash and then measure again after the wash. Any fabrics damaged by lack of care are non-returnable.
- Due to the handmade nature of these fabrics and prints, there may be slight inconsistencies and irregularities throughout the piece, these are part of the charm of artisanal fabrics, and are not considered flaws.
- Please check your fabric on delivery prior to using. Any faults or damages must be made known to us within 30 days of delivery.
Need matching thread? We recommend:
Scanfil Organic Cotton Sewing Thread in Black Onyx 4808
As there is a limited selection of thread colours, an identical colour is not always possible. We have selected what we think is the closest colour match.