2023 - HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Happy New Year one and all!
I know January can be somewhat of a bleak month. All the festivities, lights, and get-togethers are over. Decorations come down, making spaces look bare. However, I do take solace in that the beginning of the new year represents an opportunity for fresh starts. Without sounding like a cliché, I do think it's vital to start with a positive outlook for the upcoming year ahead. As painfully learnt from cognitive behavioural therapies, the way we train our brain neuronal synapses to form habitual links is very important for natural positive mindsets.
Let's not put pressure on ourselves to keep to trending new years' resolutions, but to maintain a kinder approach to ourselves, and to life itself.
Here, I'm repeating a previous blog listing, which I find particularly useful as a reminder of the small things we can do!:
Inspired by articles (from The Guardian) I'd read over the holidays, I thought it nice to share some of my favourite 'sustainable new year's resolutions' with you!
Simple daily gestures we can all take, being mindful, to make for a kinder place.
- Don't save clothes or crockery etc "for best". Wear them, use them, enjoy them!
- Always be willing to miss the next train/bus
- Be polite to rude strangers
- Use your umbrella with manners
- Never look at your phone when at dinner/talking to someone
- When walking or running, remove your headphones and just listen to your surroundings
- Tell someone their label's sticking out, especially if you don't know them!
- Learn names of people you come across regularly, shop assistants, security guards, cleaners etc, and use them
- Be open for conversation
- Learn to laugh at yourself - no shame
- Set aside 10 minutes to do something you enjoy - whether it's reading a book, listening to a podcast, having a cup of tea, or just to sit!
Of late, I've been using social media in bitesize periods, as to not overwhelm myself this year, and I must say, I am currently super inspired by seeing all your makes over the past year, as well as new ideas to make! For me, using social media platforms such as Instagram can prove a useful source of inspiration, and I can't wait to fully tidy my space up properly and start making again!
Happy New Year Everyone! Be safe, be kind, be inspired!
Image: Anna Tarazevich @ Pexels